* Committed SIM play

* we play 12 months a year

est 2009
If you have any issues logging on or registering, see if GREENERRRR is in the website chat (and get instant feedback) or contact him directly at greenerrrr@ps3maddengroup.com
groupme


groupme ID 5302641
maddenfantasydraft.com chat

if you want to chat about league text GREENERRRR at (289)241-4968 and he will invite you to groupme chat

"Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Just had another heated discussion with a member... and want to get memberships opinion...

Its my belief that RUNNING THE PLAY CLOCK DOWN INSIDE OF 10 SECONDS EVERY PLAY (to limit your opponents possessions) is "glitchy"... Running the clock should be limited to the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter... (sure there are times when everyone has a hard time deciding on a play - and the clock runs inside of 10 seconds - but its a totally different for a player to delibrately delay selecting his play so he snaps the ball with 2 sec left on play clock on every snap!!!!) - Dont get me wrong - IF WE PLAYED 15 MINUTE QUARTERS - I THINK RUNNING CLOCK (and playing ball control style of play) WOULD BE FINE - but we play less then half of that!

In fact - a possession could take an entire HALF of football - without even trying to run clock i have had opening possessions take an entire quarter - HOW INSANE WOULD IT BE FOR YOU NOT TO RECIEVE A POSSESSION IN AN ENTIRE HALF OF FOOTBALL? If you say milking the clock is ok (outside of last 3 minutes) - thats what your opening yourself up for...


The flip side of the arguement is that the offense decides when to snap = and its there perogative to run clock if they choose to... (i personally dont get the arguement - seems to be totally insane to me) - but i am sure weasel will post a reply explaining why its acceptable to run the clock the entire game (regardless of quarter length)
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by Dcolon on Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 am

Running the clock is a tactic but the game is to short to do so, so I roll with greener on this, I can easily run the clock every game but that takes away from the game if you have to resort to that as. A tactic ur really not that good and don't believe in ur game

Dcolon

Posts : 42
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Fri May 24, 2013 3:05 am

Dcolon wrote:Running the clock is a tactic but the game is to short to do so, so I roll with greener on this, I can easily run the clock every game but that takes away from the game if you have to resort to that as. A tactic ur really not that good and don't believe in ur game

exactly my point - I am certainb that i could take the opening possession and run clock for the entire first quarter - and if things went right (i had all 3rd down plays and barely git the 3rd down conversion to maximize field length) - I am sure i could run 1 possession for an entire half! How crazy is that... I never start running clock til last 3 minutes...

besides the accel clock already takes off 15 seconds - isnt that enough?
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by weasel_ on Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm not trying to have a shoot out with either of you guys. I'm ping to make the game shorter specifically when I play Dcolon, greener, Tillman etc. I will do it when it's convenient to me. Conversely I will hurry up when it's convienyent to me. I like 5 min drives in this game. Guys also loose offensive momentum that way . Ou also get guy thinking they have to score fast because they know they can hardly stop I've and the clock has now become a factor in the game. It's part of the game a HUGE part of the game. You can't use the argument. "You suck of you run the clock". As the reason why it should be illegal. That's the worst arguement ever not to mention arrogance. That's the arguemnt? If you resort to running the clock down you are not good? well I shorten the game because I don't want rice to get 200 yard in the feat half then he can play anymore. Right ?! Because that's a rule . So because of these rules I make an offensive ge plan that is to my benifit as keeps the game at the pace I like and keeps my defense more fresh and keeps the momentum on my side but now you saying that's illegal. So I can't snap fast or slow now ? Give me a break. Te contrast between those too rules is hilarious. Look at this rule change thread. I have 40 seconds to run a play. That's it man. Jesus

weasel_
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 434
Join date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by McNoob on Sat May 25, 2013 2:01 pm

The reason I play Madden is to have fun. The reason I hated playing against mullet was his play-clock strategy, which made the game not fun.

There are times when the play clock nears zero during totally ordinary situations, like subbing players and whatnot. However, if you're deliberately running the play clock down, the game just becomes slow, boring, and constipated.

I don't think there should be a rule about this. I do think people should realize it's a lame strategy though. Much like how TE streaks, outward slants (from last Madden), and constant HB draws are lame; running a play clock down should be within the same vain, and that common courtesy should come into play.

It's a competitive game and league, and I understand doing what you gotta do to win. Just don't bore us to death please.

McNoob

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Sun May 26, 2013 3:26 am

McNoob wrote:The reason I play Madden is to have fun. The reason I hated playing against mullet was his play-clock strategy, which made the game not fun.

There are times when the play clock nears zero during totally ordinary situations, like subbing players and whatnot. However, if you're deliberately running the play clock down, the game just becomes slow, boring, and constipated.

I don't think there should be a rule about this. I do think people should realize it's a lame strategy though. Much like how TE streaks, outward slants (from last Madden), and constant HB draws are lame; running a play clock down should be within the same vain, and that common courtesy should come into play.

It's a competitive game and league, and I understand doing what you gotta do to win. Just don't bore us to death please.


well i proved that i put my money where my mouth is - i gave up 22 points in last 5 minutes 30 seconds to DrMcNoob - (total bs fumble which were scooped and scored - dropped picks - cam newton literally "rolling over" von Miller to get a huge gainer - passes thrown into double coverage vs ALLPRO DBs.... there was tonnes of things that made this bs) - but i could have just snapped the ball with 8 seconds left on the playclock on 6 of the last dozen + plays i ran in the last 5 minutes 30 seconds AND I WOULD HAVE WON THE GAME - but i didnt do that - BECAUSE ITS CHEAP...

I am not "dumb" - i know i could have "dragged my ass" a lil and won the game - BUT I DIDNT - i called the plays just like i did in the first half - (maybe even faster because i was only calling run plays - didnt have to "find" the pass plays i like...)

I know i pass the integrity test - hopefully your a legit player too or you read this and adjust your game play...

LETS SEE HOW PLAYERS REACT IN A 1 TO 2 SCORE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER OUTSIDE OF LAST 3 MINUTES... - are u going to snap with 15 to 22 sec on the play clock to show your a straight-up MANO O MANO player? or are you going to snap with 8 to 14 seconds on the playclock (claim that this is the fastest u could get play off which we all know to be bs...) - or are you just going to be a total goof and just let clock run down to 2 seconds?

Should be interesting to know where people stand - love to hear players experiences in this regard...
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Sun May 26, 2013 3:42 am

weasel_ wrote:I'm not trying to have a shoot out with either of you guys. I'm ping to make the game shorter specifically when I play Dcolon, greener, Tillman etc. I will do it when it's convenient to me. Conversely I will hurry up when it's convienyent to me. I like 5 min drives in this game. Guys also loose offensive momentum that way . Ou also get guy thinking they have to score fast because they know they can hardly stop I've and the clock has now become a factor in the game. It's part of the game a HUGE part of the game. You can't use the argument. "You suck of you run the clock". As the reason why it should be illegal. That's the worst arguement ever not to mention arrogance. That's the arguemnt? If you resort to running the clock down you are not good? well I shorten the game because I don't want rice to get 200 yard in the feat half then he can play anymore. Right ?! Because that's a rule . So because of these rules I make an offensive ge plan that is to my benifit as keeps the game at the pace I like and keeps my defense more fresh and keeps the momentum on my side but now you saying that's illegal. So I can't snap fast or slow now ? Give me a break. Te contrast between those too rules is hilarious. Look at this rule change thread. I have 40 seconds to run a play. That's it man. Jesus

THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR GAMEPLAY WEASEL IS THAT YOUR ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANGLES...

you snap fast for the sole reason of not allowing the defense to be in the correct formation / scheme - there is no other reason for snapping ASAP - and the sad thing is that in real life, PLAYER WOULD INSTANTLY BE IN THE DEFENSIVE ASSIGNMENT THE COACHES WANT THEM TO BE IN - (but sadly madden doesnt have the level of detail - so we have compensate by relying on presnap defensive adjustments) - but to stop us from doing these BASIC ADJUSTMENTS that every team (even in peewee football does) you snap the ball ASAP - That bs - and if you defend such a tactic your a CHZer...

and again - for the reasons described above - RUNNING CLOCK oustide of the last 3 minutes of the game is equally CHZY... not going to reiterate the reasons - just read the above posts...

Not sure why you always have to find these angles - why not just become a better player and use that as a way to beat your opponent? Clearly you have the skills...

- besides when you use these bs tactics to win - nobody respects you... Its a hallow victory - I would rather lose in the HUGE BS way that i did vs DrMcNoob then to "play angles" to scoop a victory... (and i am sure i could have dragged my ass a few times on my play calls - he may not have even noticed me doing it...) - and it would have ultimately gave me the win - but i would know what i did - and i would get zero satisfaction from the victory... rather lose with integrity then win like a chzball...

avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by sheandrew7 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey, new to the league. Got something that's not completely related, but still on the subject of game speed and pre-snap tendencies. What are your thoughts on the hurry up offense? I use it a lot, not religiously but still prefer the no huddle offense. Cheap or okay?

sheandrew7

Posts : 2
Join date : 2013-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by General_Hon on Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm

There has been mixed replies to that. Debate still ongoing lol. Long as u don't overdo it or love in it it's legal

General_Hon
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by weasel_ on Fri May 31, 2013 8:36 pm

This is a give and take game. If other guy goes no huddle I try to hold the ball. Every game I try to win time of possession . The more I'm in control the better. I give up a lot of big plays to I feel and tighten up in the red zone. If I win time of possession I win the game 90% of the time.


Greene I do t care if people like me or not . I do t care of Peoria have fun playing against me either. As a matter of fact I would prefer my opponents to hate playing against me. I want to be the most uncomfortable game on everyone schedule. But that's just me. Football is a hurt game is not a gentlemen a sport like golf. I play the game to win and winning is everything.

MY FAVORITE PLAY IN THE GAME IS VICTORY FORMATION!

weasel_
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 434
Join date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by CharlieHustle on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 am

I personally didn't see anything wrong with running down the clock. There are a lot of good players in these leagues, with top-notch (or one could call them cheesy) passing games... It made sense to try to keep the ball out of their QB's hands as long as possible, because those very same guys will play quarter/dime defense the whole game and force a lesser opponent into throwing into heavy coverage so they can rack up on ints...

But since there is a new rule being implemented to neutralize the obvious game manipulations of the qtr/dime defenses, I would say there's no point to run the clock down if everyone abides by said rule. This new rule will create more parity in the league.

What's "boring" is playing 16 people who use the same defensive schemes all season. lol
avatar
CharlieHustle
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 100
Join date : 2012-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 am

CharlieHustle wrote:I personally didn't see anything wrong with running down the clock. There are a lot of good players in these leagues, with top-notch (or one could call them cheesy) passing games... It made sense to try to keep the ball out of their QB's hands as long as possible, because those very same guys will play quarter/dime defense the whole game and force a lesser opponent into throwing into heavy coverage so they can rack up on ints...

But since there is a new rule being implemented to neutralize the obvious game manipulations of the qtr/dime defenses, I would say there's no point to run the clock down if everyone abides by said rule. This new rule will create more parity in the league.

What's "boring" is playing 16 people who use the same defensive schemes all season. lol


GOOD POST CHARLIE

as far as running the clock goes - do some soul searching - and read below:

LETS SEE HOW PLAYERS REACT IN A 1 TO 2 SCORE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER OUTSIDE OF LAST 3 MINUTES... - are u going to snap with 15 to 22 sec on the play clock to show your a straight-up MANO O MANO player? or are you going to snap with 8 to 14 seconds on the playclock (claim that this is the fastest u could get play off which we all know to be bs...) - or are you just going to be a total goof and just let clock run down to 2 seconds?
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by weasel_ on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Just played Mazzi today in Greeners league he made the critical mistake of taking his time and end of third qt going into 4th qt wasting the clock away and kicked a fg to go up by 2 with about 4:30 left in the game . He should have played faster because he left to little time for him to get the ball back. I kicked a fg with the clock running to zero to win the game. I got into FG range before the 2min warning and sat on the ball. Converted a big 3rd and 3 on his 38 on a pass play I could have scored on but fell down on the 11. I kneeled the ball twice ran a FB dive to center the ball called a time out and kicked the walkoff FG. The clock is a critical part of the game . Huge

weasel_
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 434
Join date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by Maddening isn't it? on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Sucks if you can't stop your opponent, but perfectly legit. It's called Martyball. I watched the Chiefs do it a lot back in the 90s.

Maddening isn't it?
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 153
Join date : 2013-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by General_Hon on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:26 am

Maddening isn't it? wrote:Sucks if you can't stop your opponent, but perfectly legit. It's called Martyball. I watched the Chiefs do it a lot back in the 90s.

Yea I painfully watched the Steelers do it to my Bengals over and over back in the Jerome Bettis days

General_Hon
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by sheandrew7 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:11 pm

I personally believe that clock management is a part of the game that makes personality bleed into game play. Everyone is going to have different ways they play the game (playbooks, offense styles, etc.), and ball-control/clock management is one of them. I don't like when someone tries to rush a lot and keeps the ball from me, but I respect it and if I don't like it then it's my job to stop it. Bottom line.

I like to play hurry up and show players like that that I don't need 5-6 minute drives to score, I only need 1. It adds a different element of fear, just like giving the ball back to a clock-managing player with 5 minutes left is uncomfortable. It's the way we play the game. It's part of what makes every player different, and if you don't like it, stop it.

sheandrew7

Posts : 2
Join date : 2013-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 pm

sheandrew7 wrote:I personally believe that clock management is a part of the game that makes personality bleed into game play.  Everyone is going to have different ways they play the game (playbooks, offense styles, etc.), and ball-control/clock management is one of them.  I don't like when someone tries to rush a lot and keeps the ball from me, but I respect it and if I don't like it then it's my job to stop it.  Bottom line.

I like to play hurry up and show players like that that I don't need 5-6 minute drives to score, I only need 1.  It adds a different element of fear, just like giving the ball back to a clock-managing player with 5 minutes left is  uncomfortable.  It's the way we play the game.  It's part of what makes every player different, and if you don't like it, stop it.







I couldnt agree with your more!!!! you are so right!!! with one caveat - the above only hold true when we have 15 minute quarters!!!

Some of our leagues have 6 minute quarters - its totally feasible for a player to have the ball AN ENTIRE HALF! - how bad would that suck if you didnt get to touch ball to kickoff of the 3rd quarter?  (a 12 minute possession is totally feasible - especially if your tryn to run the clock and milk every second...)

I hate to tell anyone how to play BUT EXTREMES in a SIM league are never ideal - and i have tried to come up with a workable rule for this topic BUT I COULD FIND NONE - so its left up to individuals - and if run clock the entire game I HAVE TO CALL YOU PUSSY!

And I am sure there are lots of players that would CLAIM they would NEVER RUN CLOCK (outside of last 3 minutes of half/game) - but the truth is only found in HOW PLAYERS REACT IN A 1 TO 2 SCORE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER OUTSIDE OF LAST 3 MINUTES:
     
        - are u going to snap with 15 to 22 sec on the play clock to show your a straight-up MANO O MANO player?

                                             or

      - are you going to snap with 8 to 14 seconds on the playclock (claim that this is the fastest u could get play off which we all know to be bs...)

                                             or

       - are you just going to be a total goof and just let clock run down to 2 seconds?



Which player are you - Talk to DrMcNoob and Kavorka2 to find out where i stand on this - I had a big loss to DrMcnoob because of it and almost gave up a playoff game to kavorka - BUT I WOULD RATHER LOSE THEN BE A CHZBALL!
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by weasel_ on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 pm

You play the game to win. HELLO

weasel_
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 434
Join date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by CharlieHustle on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Personally, I hate sitting on the clock. I think it's just as cheesy as any other gimmick in the game, but only because of the short 7min qtrs... Most of the people I play in league games start burning the clock as early as the beginning of the third qtr, knowing your chances of overcoming even a small deficit have been cut in half. The only way to neutralize it is to have longer qtrs?
avatar
CharlieHustle
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 100
Join date : 2012-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by GREENERRRR on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:39 pm

CharlieHustle wrote:Personally, I hate sitting on the clock. I think it's just as cheesy as any other gimmick in the game, but only because of the short 7min qtrs... Most of the people I play in league games start burning the clock as early as the beginning of the third qtr, knowing your chances of overcoming even a small deficit have been cut in half. The only way to neutralize it is to have longer qtrs?


your totally right Charlie - and i would love to have LONGER QUARTERS =- but unfortunately there is huge push back for this... My 8 minute quarter league got numerous complaints - (even thouhh the accel clock runs off 1%% of the game anyhow! lol)...

I would love to play in a 12 to 15 minute quarter league - no accel clock with all the active members that we have... but no way thios would be possible - the games would be over an hour long - guys would freak... not sure why - we only play 1 game every other day in our leagues - whats the big deal to give up 90 minutes (instead of 45) - u would only lose 1 lobnby game - and i say who cares!

And to those who would say stats would get insane - I think you would be surpirsed - the CPU controlled players would tighten up (hopefully) - making the stats in thye game realistic - but all this is conjecture - no way we find 32 guys to do this...
avatar
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by Fr8trainShane on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 am

Just chiming in:

Assuming the Accel Clock is on, the offense shouldn't be delaying the snap any more than possible. Because the accel clock will give remove 15 seconds off the clock for both teams. Even the losing team loses at least 15 seconds, which they surely would rather keep.

Snap the ball before the ten second mark, and at the game. You already get a accel clock run off.

Caveat: I have no problem with people burning clock all the way if it is within 3 minutes of half or end of game.

Fr8trainShane
Pro
Pro

Posts : 840
Join date : 2010-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Running the clock" in 7 minute quarter games - is it legit?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum